Ham & Split Pea Without The Wait, simple but hearty this is one grubbing soup.
1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup chopped red or sweet onion
2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
4 cups chicken broth (about 2 cans)
- Saute onions and garlic in a pan or using the saute mode on your pressure cooker
- Once translucent add carrots and celery, saute just long enough to coat the celery and carrots with the garlic and onion mixture
- If using diced ham, add to the mixture and stir until completely mixed
- If a pan was used, transfer to the pressure cooker
- Spread dried peas evenly over the sauteed ingredients, then add broth and remaining seasoning
- Place lid on pressure cooker and set to soups/stews, (PPC XL) or your pressure cooker’s equivalent, for 40 Minutes
- After the time is up, allow for natural release then check consistency. An extra 15-minute cycle can be used if you prefer a thicker porridge-like consistency.
- Remove bay leaf and bones if the diced ham wasn’t used.
Serve garnished with croutons and/or bacon bits
* Freezes well