Makes one 9-inch pie
1 ready to bake pie crust
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
6 cups cored, peeled and thinly sliced apples (approximately 4-5 medium-sized apples)
1 Large Egg
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (plus a pinch), firmly packed
butter or margarine
NOTE: Prepare pie crust according to directions on package for 1 filled crust pie.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix sugar, starch, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt into a bowl.
- Stir in sliced apples.
- Coat pie plate with a thin layer of butter (can substitute spray oil or Crisco)
- Press lower crust into pie plate leaving about 1/4 inch overlap on the lip of the dish
- Spoon apple slice mixture into pie plate.
- Place top crust over the pie plate, tucking edge inside the bottom crust, then fold over bottom edge and crimp with a fork.
- Cut 8 small slits on top of crust – see picture
- Beat egg in a bowl then brush across the top of the pie crust then lightly sprinkle with a pinch of sugar
- Bake pie on a sheet pan for 1 hour 30 minutes.